Friday, April 9, 2010

A Math Lesson at In 'n' Out Burger

Last week, we went to In 'n' Out Burger for dinner.  My husband and I play indoor soccer nearby, so it's the kids' favorite place for a quick bite after the game.

While we were eating, our five-year-old noticed the guy behind the counter calling out numbers.  I'm not sure what made the numbers so exciting, but he eagerly exclaimed, "Number fifty!  They said fifty!"  We explained they were calling out order numbers.  I pointed out that our number was 44, and asked how many more orders had been filled since ours.

We have high expectations of our kids, but try not to push them too hard.  Of course, "too hard," is a judgment call that can change from day to day.  The question wasn't too difficult for him - I knew he could figure it out, and I was happy to help if he needed it.  But, "I don't know," with no effort put in at all, wasn't acceptable to Dad.  Our little guy was tired and didn't feel like thinking about it, so I offered to help.  "I'll count up from 44 and you can count on your fingers how many numbers I need to go up," I offered.  He retorted with, "I don't need to use my fingers!"

Well, after a little back and forth with Dad, and again refusing assistance from me, he put his mind to work.  We could see him looking up and mouthing the numbers as he counted up.  "Forty-five, forty-six..."  He came back to us with, "five!"  After a pause from Dad and me and a subtle, "Are you sure?"  He looked up at his imaginary blackboard again, caught his mistake and announced the correct answer.  We gave him lots of praise for his efforts and rewarded him with a milkshake for dessert (which he was going to get anyway).

This was just a simple interchange, but it's an example of how we incorporate learning into everyday moments with the family.  And, once we challenge our kids to think about something, we do hold them to at least that - to think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment